ATSU pays tribute to the following graduates …
Ellsworth C. Bartlett Jr., DO, ’39
Ellsworth C. “Doc” Bartlett Jr., DO, ’39, Henderson, Nev., died Feb. 26, 2011. He was born Aug. 25, 1916, in Colorado Springs, Colo., to Ellsworth C. and Vera M. Bartlett.
Doc was a retired osteopathic physician and surgeon who practiced in Albuquerque, N.M. He was a Mason and member of the Shrine. He was also an active member of the Lions Club International. He was a member of Trinity United Methodist and of the Green Valley Baptist Church.
He was preceded in death by his first wife, Francis R. (1996), and by his second wife, Doris Jean (2009). Doc is survived by his son and daughter-in-law, Ellsworth T. and Linda M. Bartlett; his daughter and son-in-law, Rebecca A. and David Wesbrook; his daughter and son-in-law, Nancy and Treven Follis; seven grandchildren; and eight great-grandchildren. He is also survived by five stepchildren, Bob, Mary, Jeanne, John, and Neil Clement.
Robert Jerry Blickensderfer, DO, ’69, BSPH
Robert Jerry Blickensderfer, DO, ’69, BSPH, Mineral Ridge, Ohio, died Nov. 13, 2011. Dr. Blickensderfer was born July 9, 1934, a son of the late Russell and Nola (Sherman) Blickensderfer. A United States Navy Veteran, he served on the USS Yorktown during the Korean Conflict.
Dr. Blickensderfer treated patients at his practice in Kirksville, Mo., and taught at ATSU-KCOM as an associate professor in the Department of Surgery until 2002. He was a member of the Mineral Ridge Church of Christ, enjoyed numerous artistic activities, and was an avid gardener.
He will be sadly missed by his wife the former Barbara Garris, whom he married Aug. 21, 1960; children Dr. Scott (Dr. Janelle) Blickensderfer (South Bend, Ind.) and grandchildren Jamie, Leah, and Eric; Sharon Blickensderfer (Fairway, Kan.); Brian Blickensderfer (Austin, Texas); and Dr. Amy (Dr. Chuck Dietrich) Blickensderfer (St. Louis, Mo.) and granddaughter Ashton; and his twin brother John (Mary Lee) Blickensderfer. Besides his parents, Dr. Blickensderfer is preceded in death by a sister Sue Klemper and a brother James.
Memorial contributions may be made to the Animal Welfare League Shelter, 545 Brunstetter Rd. SW, Warren, OH 44481. Family and friends may send condolences at www.lanefuneralhomes.com.
Donald E. Cole, DO, ’66
Donald Estes Cole, DO, ’66, Bedford, Texas, died at age 70 on Jan. 6, 2012. Dr. Cole graduated from ATSU-KCOM, honorably served his country as a captain, and was a tremendous father and grandfather. After serving in the Army, Dr. Cole practiced as an osteopathic physician in Bedford for many years.
He was born in Rose Hill, Va., on Oct. 21, 1941. He was married to Emily Bailey for 23 years. He will be greatly missed by his children and their families, Larry Cole (Su), Walter Cole (Franchesca) and Kimberly Cole-Gay (Chris); his grandchildren, Kristen, Christopher, Kaitlyn, Logan, Chandler, Preston, and Watson. Dr. Cole is the brother of the late Hugo John Cole, DO, ’63.
Melvin D. Crouse, DO, ’58
Melvin D. Crouse, DO, ’58, Dayton, Ohio, died July 11, 2011, after a brief illness. Dr. Crouse was known by his fellow colleagues and many friends for not wanting to be in the limelight and offering his knowledge and help “behind the scenes.” Born in Buffalo, New York, on March 23, 1928, he was the son of Irving I. Crouse, MD, and Leya Greenberg Crouse. Dr. Crouse is survived by Betty, his wife of 54 years.
A graduate of the University of Buffalo (1948), he attended ATSU-KCOM (1958) and completed his internship at Grandview Hospital in Dayton. He established his private practice in family medicine in Kettering where he cared for patients until his retirement in 2001. He was a stalwart member of the Grandview Medical Center staff for more than 52 years, board certified in family practice, where he was very involved in the leadership of the hospital staff, and served two terms on the board of trustees.
His devoted service was recognized with many awards including General Practitioner of the Year (1986) by the Ohio State Society of Family Physicians and Distinguished Service Award (2002) and Grandview Pioneer (2010), both bestowed by Grandview. He was a life member of the Ohio Osteopathic Association, the American Osteopathic Association, and the Dayton District Academy of Osteopathic Medicine. He was a member of the Montgomery County Medical Society and Ohio State Medical Association and clinical associate professor of family practice at OUCOM. His community service included years of service to the Dayton Visiting Nurses Association and many other community and philanthropic organizations. His personal interests included memberships in the National Association of Watch & Clock Collectors and the Honorable Order of Kentucky Colonels and devoted service to the congregation at his synagogue.
Memorial contributions may be made to the Family Practice Residency Fund of The Grandview Foundation, 405 Grand Ave., Dayton, Ohio, 45405, or Beth Abraham Synagogue, or the charity of your choice.
Daniel R. Daciuk, DO, ’61
Daniel (Dmytro) R. Daciuk, DO, ’61, Traverse City, Mich., died Nov. 21, 2011, at age 76.
Dr. Daciuk was born June 4, 1935, in Sarnia, Ontario, Canada, to the late Dmytro and Anastasia (Lazchuk) Daciuk. He married Donna M. Needle on Aug. 25, 1962. Together they lovingly raised four daughters and a son.
Dr. Daciuk graduated from the University of Detroit and ATSU-KCOM. He practiced medicine in Northern Michigan until his retirement (1963-87). He was a member of the Coast Guard Auxiliary, the U.S. Power Squadron, and the Knights of Columbus. Dr. Daciuk was also a member of St. Joseph Catholic Church.
Surviving Dr. Daciuk are his wife, Donna; children Dana M. (Ronald) Olm, Lisa D. (James Jr.) Bradfield, Julie A. (David) Sutton, Erica T. (Scott) Adams, and David F. (Kelly) Daciuk; and 15 grandchildren.
Services were held Nov. 26, 2011, at St. Joseph Catholic Church in Mapleton, Mich. Memorial contributions may be directed to Grant Traverse Area Right to Life or Hospice of Northern Michigan.
Bradford LeRoy “Brad” Darling, DO, ’52
Bradford LeRoy “Brad” Darling, DO, ’52, Littleton, Colo., died July 19, 2010, at age 83. He was born May 1, 1927, to Roy and Regina Darling. He graduated from Newton High School in 1945. He is survived by his wife, Jane; daughter, Kathy Robbins; brother, Robert (Gold River, Calif.); stepchildren, Cory Stephens, Brad Stephens, and Traci Vadney; and six grandchildren. He was preceded in death by his parents and son Brian. A memorial has been established with the Alzheimer’s Association.
Dan C. Dean, DO, ’68
Dan C. Dean, DO, ’68, Mt. Pleasant, Mich., died Jan. 15, 2012, at age 75. A memorial service was held Jan. 19.
Dr. Dean was born Nov. 30, 1936, in Ponca City, Okla., the son of Willis Benjamin and Frances (Kucera) Dean. He served in the U.S. Air Force in intelligence, stationed in Japan. Dr. Dean served Isabella County for 42 years as a family practice physician. As a physician he went above and beyond patient advocacy and never turned away anyone in need.
He was a member of the American Osteopathic Association, American College of General Practitioners, Michigan Association of Family Parishioners, American Medical Association, American Heart Association , Clinical Assistant Professor in the Department of Family and Community Medicine at the Michigan State University, and the Wabon Masonic Lodge #305 F&AM Mt. Pleasant. Dr. Dean enjoyed horses, his dogs, classic automobiles and most of all, his family.
Dr. Dean is survived by his sons, Rick Dean; Dan Dean and Shannon (Michelle) Dean; wife of 19 years, Sandra Dean; grandchildren Morgan, Kaileigh and Ryan; sisters Margaret (Marty) Mulkey; Charlene Dean and Karen (Bill) Douglas; brother Noble (Jane) Dean, and many nieces and nephews.
Dr. Dean was preceded in death by his parents; brothers Willard Willis “Bud”; Robert “Bob” and Glenn “Sug” Dean; and sister Dorothy Hanna.
Memorial contributions may be made to the Central Michigan University College of Medicine and will be dedicated to the naming of a medical student study room in honor of Dr. Dan C. Dean.
Paul M. Derderian, DO, ’86
Paul M. Derderian, DO, ’86, Grand Blanc, Mich., died June 4, 2011, after a courageous battle with cancer.
Dr. Derderian was born in Flint, Mich., on Jan. 4, 1959, to Dr. Sarkis and Helen Derderian. He received his B.S. from Hillsdale College in Hillsdale, Mich., and his DO from ATSU-KCOM. He did his internal medicine residency at Flint Osteopathic Hospital and completed two fellowships – one in medical oncology at The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center and one in medical hematology at Rush Presbyterian – St. Luke’s Medical Center in Chicago.
Dr. Derderian was medical director of Community Cancer Care at Mount Clemens Regional Medical Center where he passionately cared for a served countless patients. He was a member of The American Society for Clinical Oncologists and served on numerous medical boards.
Dr. Derderian loved being with his family, especially times spent together in Northern Michigan. He was an avid golfer and skier and was passionate about his relationship with the Lord.
He is survived by his beloved wife, Tracy Lynn, and his adored children, Ian Thomas, Gabrielle Marie, Noah Daniel, Gideon Jacob, Jonah Carl, and Violette McKenna; his mother, Helen; brothers Drs. Sarkis and Gregory Derderian and their wives, Vicky and Cheryl; niece and nephews Dr. S. Christopher, Meghan, Nicholas, and Alexander Derderian. He was preceded in death by his father, Sarkis Derderian, DO, ’45.
A memorial service was held June 8, 2011, in Grand Blanc at Mt. Hope Church. A college fund has been established to help with the costs of sending Dr. Derderian’s six children to college. Stories, pictures, and donation information can be found at www.forevermissed.com/paul-derderian.
David T. Garland Jr., DO, ’51
David T. Garland Jr., DO, ’51, Denver, Colo., died Feb. 3, 2012, at age 90. Dr. Garland is survived by his wife, Wanna; their daughter, Mary (Mike); Dr. Garland’s children, Dave (Kathy), James W. Garland, DO, ’78 (Debbie), John (Susie), and Dan; grandchildren, Dave, Jeffrey, Steven, and Kailey; and step grandchildren, Katie and Kelly. Dr. Garland’s wife, Bernice, predeceased him in 1976.
Born in Denver in 1921, Dr. Garland was a renowned pitcher at South High and the University of Denver (All Conference). After serving as a pilot in World War II, Dr. Garland was signed by the St. Louis Browns organization but decided on medical school instead of pro baseball. As a doctor, from 1952-91, Dr. Garland served as team physician for numerous Denver professional and amateur sports teams, including the Central Bankers and the Denver-Chicago Truckers (National Industrial Basketball League); Denver’s AAU Basketball teams; the Denver Broncos football team (during their initial two years); the Denver Rockets of the ABA and the Denver Nuggets of the NBA; the Denver Rackets of the National Tennis League; and the Denver Stars of the National Rodeo League. He also served as team physician for various U.S. All Star Basketball teams traveling to the U.S.S.R., Denmark, Sweden, the Philippines, Taiwan, and Argentina. By the time he retired from the Denver Nuggets in 1991, he almost certainly had worked with more amateur and professional coaches, trainers, and athletes than any other physician in Colorado history.
From 1961-75, he also served with a number of local sports, civic and medical organizations, including the University of Denver Athletic Boosters; the Old Timers Baseball League (president); the Denver Chamber of Commerce Sports Committee (27 years); and the Colorado Sports Hall of Fame (founding member and on the Board of Directors for 26 years). Over his lifetime Dave has devoted himself to his loving family, who will miss him dearly; his patients; his friends (including his golfing buddies, past and present, at Lakewood Country Club); and his hometown of Denver.
Benjamin Lee Gill, DO, ’63
Benjamin Lee Gill, DO, ’63, Akron, Ohio, age 72, died Feb. 19, 2011, at Akron General Medical Center after a short illness.
He was born June 13, 1938 to Samuel and Percival in Virginia and has resided most all of this life in the Portage Lakes area. Dr. Gill moved to Akron and began his practice in 1964, moving it to the Lakes area in 1976. He retired in 2008.
Dr. Gill was an avid wooden boat enthusiast, participating yearly with his “Lady of the Lake” at antique and wooden boat shows locally and throughout the region. He was a past member of the Turkeyfoot Island Club. He held a private pilot’s license, enjoyed snow skiing and working in his yard.
He is survived by his wife of 39 years, Olive; stepchildren David, Deborah, Douglas, and Daniel Harris; a daughter of a previous marriage, Jennifer (Jay) Marshall; grandsons Jake and Zachary (Lakewood, Ohio); and grandchildren Dana and David Harris (Clearwater, Fla.) and Olivia (Patrick) Middendorf (Knoxville, Tenn.). A sister, Judy Wagner, preceded him in death.
A memorial service was held Feb. 25, 2011, at House of Eberhardt Funeral Home. Donations may be made to Oak Clinic for Multiple Sclerosis, 3838 Massillon Rd., Green, OH 44685.
Gerald Herald Goettsch, DO, ’71
Gerald Herald Goettsch, DO, ’71, Bettendorf, Iowa, age 65, died Nov. 18, 2011, at Manor Care Utica Ridge in Davenport, Iowa.
Born Dec. 5, 1945, in Holstein, Iowa, Dr. Goettsch was the son of Herbert E. and Myrtle A. (Dau) Goettsch. He was united in marriage to Roletta Jean Albers on June 4, 1966. Dr. Goettsch attended Augustana College in Sioux Falls, S.D., earning a BA in biology and psychology (1967). In 1971 he graduated from ATSU-KCOM and completed his internship (1971-72) at the former Davenport Osteopathic Hospital. Dr. Goettsch was in private practice as a family physician for many years. Since 2006 he practiced with Milan Medical Group in Milan, Ill., and CSL-Plasma in Davenport.
As a member of St. James Lutheran Church in Bettendorf, Dr. Goettsch served on the church council for three years. His interests in his life included swimming, karate, music, tennis, skiing, canoeing, camping, jogging, biking and playing craps.
He was a devoted fan of his children and grandchildren. He is survived and lovingly remembered by his wife, Roletta; his two children, Barry G. (Dr. Eva) Goettsch (Marengo, Iowa) and Nichelle L. (Elliott) Schiffman (Glenview, Ill.); his four grandchildren, Bennett and Abigail Goettsch and Zachary and Madelyn Schiffman; as well as his mother, Myrtle Goettsch (Holstein); surviving aunts and uncles, Vernon (Deloris) Dau (Cushing, Iowa), Leslie (LuEtta) Dau (Paullina, Iowa), and Mary (Robert) Hahn (Cherokee, Iowa). Also surviving are a brother-in-law, two sisters-in-law, three nephews, and a niece. He was preceded in death by his father, Herbert E. Goettsch; a brother, Dr. James Goettsch; aunt Elinor Goettsch; cousin Lori Hahn Sokolowski; and uncle Clarence Dau.
Online condolences may be expressed to the family by visiting www.cunnick-collins.com. In lieu of flowers, memorials may be made to Augustana College, Sioux Falls, S.D.
George F. Graves Jr., DO, ’70
George F. Graves, Jr., DO, ’70, Silver Springs, Fla., died Sept. 12, 2011. Dr. Graves is survived by his wife, Patricia Graves; daughter Dr. Estee Ann Davis; sons Dr. Andre Thomas Graves and Robert Armistead, Jr.; brothers Wayne D. Graves, DO, ’75, and J. Michael Graves, DO, ’80; sisters Nancy Mitchell and Elizabeth Weisner; sister-in-law Karladine Graves, DO, ’75; four grandchildren, Emma Robles, Isabella Davis, Thomas George Davis, Heather Armistead; and one great grandson, Hadden Armistead. A memorial service was held Sept. 24, 2011. Donations may be made to Saint Germain Foundation, I AM Temple of Orlando, PO Box 1286, Sorrento, FL 32776.
Robert Allen “Bob” Jensen, DO, ’81
Robert Allen “Bob” Jensen, DO, ’81, Clifton, Colo., died Nov. 8, 2011. Dr. Jensen was an avid bicyclist, poetry lover, and bread baker.
Born July 4, 1949, in Breckenridge, Minn., his family moved to Denver in 1954 where Dr. Jensen graduated from Regis High School in 1968. He married Teresa Kottenstette in 1974 and finished his medical studies in 1981 at ATSU-KCOM. He and his family lived in Yuma, Colo.; Nachotta, Wash.; and Grand Junction. After divorcing in 2005, Dr. Jensen married Glenda Neff in 2010 and remained in the Grand Junction area, working for Primary Care Partners at the after-hours clinic, Docs on Call.
Dr. Jensen served this community for 20 years as a physician and friend. He believed in giving and was a generous donor to A.T. Still University as well as many local and international foundations. He was loved and admired for his care and professionalism.
Dr. Jensen is survived by wife Glenda, son-in-law Jeffrey and daughter Eleanor Rose “Ellie” Jensen, DO, ’09, son and daughter-in-law Thomas and Melissa Jensen, Glenda’s sons Jim and Joseph Neff, grandchildren Brooklyn and Carter Neff, and many other loved ones.
Services for Dr. Jensen were held at Martin Mortuary on Nov. 12, 2011. Contributions can be made to A.T. Still University, 800 W. Jefferson St., Kirksville, MO 63501. Friends and family may leave condolences at www.martinmortuary.com.
John Lewis Johnston, DO, ’52
John Lewis Johnston, DO, ’52, Shippenville, Pa., died Dec. 22, 2011, at age 89 after a brief illness.
Born Nov. 8, 1922, in Thornburg, Iowa, he was the son of Lial W. and Frances Pollock Johnston. He married Rhea Frances Hyink on Sept. 6, 1947.
He received his B.S. (1947) from Parsons College in Fairfield, Iowa, after completing four years of wartime military service in the U. S. Army. He received his M.S. (1949) from the State University of Iowa in Iowa City. He earned his D.O. (1952) at ATSU-KCOM. He performed his residency in general surgery at South Bend Osteopathic Hospital in South Bend, Ind., (1953-57), and continued there as a surgeon until 1963. After two years as a general surgeon in the Dallas-Fort Worth area, he and his wife moved to Grove City, Pa., where he was a general surgeon at Bashline Hospital before relocating in Clarion in 1976. At Clarion Hospital, over the course of his career, he served as surgical department chair, president of the medical staff, and member of the board of trustees. He was also a constant on the board of trustees of Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine (LECOM). He was honored with the 2010 President’s Award for his service to LECOM and to his profession.
During his career, he served as the Pennsylvania Osteopathic Medical Association state president, vice president, and secretary, and he was a fellow of the American College of Osteopathic Surgeons. He was honored as Clarion’s citizen of the year in 2003. He was an elder at the First Presbyterian Church of Clarion and a member of the Rotary Club. He was a 50-year member of the Scottish Rite.
Surviving is daughter Cindy Johnston; son David Johnston; wife Lynn; brother-in-law Howard Quimby; brother-in-law Robert Hyink and his wife, Nanon; grandson Ben; and six nieces and nephews. In addition to his parents and his sister, he was preceded in death by his wife in June 2011.
Funeral services were held Dec. 28, 2011. In lieu of flowers, memorials may be made to either Clarion Hospital (Attn: Foundation Office), 100 Hospital Drive, Clarion, PA 16214, or Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine (Attn: Scholarship Fund), 1858 W. Grandview Boulevard, Erie, PA 16509-1025.
Kenji G. Kitagawa, DO, ’85
Kenji G. Kitagawa, DO, ’85, Denver, Colo., died Oct. 24, 2011.
Dr. Kitagawa was born July 31, 1958, in Kansas City, Mo., to Dr. Holly Kitagawa and his wife, Nobie. The oldest of six children, Dr. Kitagawa demonstrated a true love of the arts. During his childhood and his teenage years, art played a central role as he would turn a simple set of Popsicle sticks into a golden treasure box, macramé plant holders to decorate the house, sculpture snow into a happily dancing Snoopy with Woodstock by his side, and craft Lego blocks into giant passenger jets. His taste became more sophisticated when he began to experiment with stained glass, pastels, plaster, origami and pottery. He loved to garden but finally found his passion in cooking.
An avid cyclist, Dr. Kitagawa found solitude on the highway. He logged hundreds of miles as he participated in such events as Pedal the Peaks in New Mexico, and the Triple By-Pass in Colorado. He graduated from ATSU-KCOM in 1985, and settled in Denver where he practiced family medicine with his father. Eventually Dr. Kitagawa quit his practice to become an educator when he started a Kumon learning center for children.
Dr. Kitagawa lives on in the hearts of his family, wife Jean (Edwina), son Koji, siblings Dr. Lisa Lewis (Randy), Jill Tancioco (Rafael), Dr. Benji Kitagawa (Antonette), Miko Kitagawa (Skip), and Dr. Genji Kitagawa (Becky), aunt May Mizokami (Tom), cousins Dr. Ray Nagashima (Anne), Danny Nagashima, Paul Nagashima (Juli), Michele Bodenheimer (Stan), and Ronald Fox. He was preceded in death by aunts Sr. Bernadetta and Jenny Tomoi (Edwin).
A memorial service was held Oct. 29, 2011 at the Denver Art Museum. Donations may be made to Project Angel Heart, 4190 Garfield St, Denver, CO 80216.
James Frank Marr, DO, ’56
James Frank Marr, DO, ’56, Tulsa, Okla., died Oct. 14, 2011 at age 79.
Dr. Marr was born Nov. 15, 1931, in Sedalia, Mo., the son of John Hannibal and Leta Mae (Evans) Marr. Dr. Marr attended Smith-Cotton High School, and was a graduate of Central Missouri State University (1952) and ATSU-KCOM (1956). Dr. Marr completed his Internship at Oklahoma Osteopathic Hospital (now OSU Medical Center) in Tulsa, Okla., in 1957. He married Esther Baldwin in the summer of 1960. Dr. Marr was very active in his professional life with professional memberships in the Oklahoma Osteopathic Association as a lifetime member, Tulsa Osteopathic Society, and the American Osteopathic Association.
He received his certification by the American Osteopathic Board of General Practice in 1974. Dr. Marr also served on the adjunct clinical faculty at Oklahoma College of Osteopathic Medicine and Surgery for a period of time.
Over the years Dr. Marr was awarded the Jim Close Humanitarian Award from the Southwest Tulsa Chamber of Commerce, Award of Appreciation from the Blue T Club at Webster High School, Acknowledgement of Outstanding Clinical Research from Sandoz Pharmaceutical Company, Award of Merit for Cost Containment Ideas from the Osteopathic Hospital, and Chairman Leadership Award from the Department of General Practice at Oklahoma Osteopathic Hospital.
While the practice of medicine was a large part of his life, it was by no means his only passion. Dr. Marr served on the board of the J.M. Davis Gun Museum (Claremore, Okla.), on two separate appointments (1972-77 and 2005-10). He was also a member of the National Rifle Association, Osage Territory Muzzle Loaders, Oil Capital Rod and Gun Club, and Red Castle Gun Club.
Dr. Marr was preceded in death by his parents and two brothers, John M. Marr and Marshall E. Marr. He is survived by his wife of 51 years, Esther; daughter Celia (Rick) Springer; son Dr. Byron “Buzz” Marr; grandchildren Devin Springer, Kyra (Ryan) Johnson, and Kelsey and Grace Marr. He is also survived by many nieces, nephews, cousins, and a host of friends and colleagues who will miss his bright smiles and his many stories.
A memorial service was held Oct. 24, 2011, in the Ninde Brookside Chapel. Memorials may be made to the Oklahoma Osteopathic Association, 4848 N. Lincoln Blvd., Oklahoma City, OK 73105 or Sojourn Care Hospice, 9910 E. 42nd, Suite 101, Tulsa, OK 74146.
Kerriston L. Marsh, DO, ’63
Kerriston L. Marsh, DO, ’63, Tucson, Ariz., died July 11, 2010.
Dr. Marsh was born in Plentywood, Mont., to LaVada and Louis Marsh, the oldest of five sons. He attended Gonzaga University in Spokane, Wash., where he met his loving wife of 58 years, Lois. They had 10 children. He served in the Air Force during the Korean War. He graduated from ATSU-KCOM in 1963, practiced family medicine for 45 years, and retired at age 75. Final days were spent at home with his wife and family.
A man of profound faith and a scholar, Dr. Marsh had an enduring passion for many things including devotion to God, his family, his country, education, languages, the arts, and history. A true healer, the impact he had on everyone touched by his gentle, loving, and charitable ways endures. He was preceded in death by his eldest son, Anthony, and his grandson, Cameron. He is survived by wife, Lois, nine remaining children, 25 grandchildren, and 16 great-grandchildren.
Donations may be made to The American Diabetes Association, in memory of Dr. Marsh and his grandson, Cameron. Please make checks payable to “Team Cameron,” mail in c/o Julie McCartan, DO, 541 W. Wetmore Rd., Tucson, AZ 85705.
Joel M. Messina, DO, ’55
Joel M. Messina, DO, ’55, Plant City, Fla., died July 26, 2010.
He was born September 5, 1929, in Schenectady, N.Y., and received his medical degree from ATSU-KCOM (1955). Dr. Messina was a practicing physician in obstetrics and gynecology for 47 years and the first specialist on staff at Brandon Regional Hospital when it opened its doors.
He is preceded in death by his first wife, Katharine Harrison Messina, and is survived by his wife, Linda; six children, Katharine Messina Corny (Thomas), Joel Messina II (Cathy), James Messina (Angela), Robert Messina, Skip Athey (Tamara), Scott Athey (Melanie); 11 grandchildren, Daniel Coryn, Megan Messina, Kasey Coryn, Branden Messina, Mandy Athey, Kameron Athey, Erin Messina, Joel Messina III, Cody Athey, Karson Athey and Kaden Athey; and two sisters, Mary Ann Kramer and Ruth Neapolitan.
He was a loving husband, father, grandfather and friend, and will be greatly missed by all those who knew him. Memorial donations may be made in his name to National Kidney Foundation or Bell Shoals Baptist Church Benevolence Foundation.
Richard A. Mickle, DO, ’86
Richard A. “Rick” Mickle, DO, ’86, Phoenix, Ariz., died Dec. 2, 2011, following a tragic motor vehicle accident. Dr. Mickle was the second of four children born to William W. and Mary Alice Mickle, of Shenandoah, Iowa.
Dr. Mickle attended the University of Arizona in Tucson and Nebraska Wesleyan University in Lincoln, Neb., where he received his BS in economics (1977). He then attended Creighton University in Omaha, Neb., where he graduated Magna Cum Laude with a BS in pharmacy (1982). He then attended ATSU-KCOM, receiving his DO (1986).
Following an internship at the Oklahoma Osteopathic Hospital and residency at the Osteopathic Medical Center of Philadelphia, Dr. Mickle settled in Phoenix and opened Adobe E.N.T. and Allergy offices in Mesa and Casa Grande. He served as an adjunct clinical professor at the Midwestern College of Osteopathic Medicine and ATSU-KCOM and on the board of directors of Mesa General Hospital. He also served on the Credentials Committee of Health Choice of Arizona and as chair of the Pharmacy and Therapeutics Committee at Arizona Regional Hospital.
Dr. Mickle is survived by sons James R. and Thomas R.; ex-wife Kathleen; siblings William W. “Mick” Mickle II and wife Janice; Michele Mickle Ernst and husband Rick; Matthew S. Mickle and wife Kim; three nieces, five nephews, two great-nieces, two great-nephews, and many loving aunts, uncles, friends and associates.
Burial took place Dec. 8. Condolences may be offered at www.whitneymurphyfuneralhome.com. Memorial donations may be made to Catholic Education Arizona, 2025 N. 3rd St., Suite 165, Phoenix, AZ 85004; Arizona Humane Society, 1521 W. Dobbins Rd., Phoenix, AZ 85041; or Creighton University College of Pharmacy Scholarship Fund, 2500 California Plaza, Omaha, NE 68178.
John Thomas O’Shea, DO, ’65
John Thomas “Tom” O’Shea, DO, ’65, Fort Worth, Texas, died Oct. 11, 2011, at age 73 after a courageous struggle with cardiopulmonary disease.
Dr. O’Shea was born April 28, 1938, in Detroit, Mich., to John Hubert and Rita Hill Sheedy. He was raised in nearby Garden City, along with his sister, Patricia Ann, and graduated from St. Mary’s High School (1957). Dr. O’Shea was a gifted student and star football player when he suffered a gunshot wound that would require the amputation of his leg just below the knee. This would prove to be the seminal event that would lead to his dedication to medicine and healing others.
Never one to be deterred by setbacks, Dr. O’Shea became the first in his family to graduate from college – Eastern Michigan University (1961). Inspired by osteopathic medicine’s altruistic approach to treating the patient, he then attended ATSU-KCOM and graduated in 1965. While completing his three-year residency in pathology at Garden City Hospital, he met his first wife, Nancy Marie O’Shea, the mother of his three children whom he wed in 1966. Upon completion of his residency in 1971, he accepted a position with Fort Worth Osteopathic Hospital and became a resident of Fort Worth for the rest of his life. He served at Fort Worth Osteopathic Hospital as the chief of pathology and director of clinical surgery until his retirement (2004). While at the hospital Dr. O’Shea also served as chief of staff, a director of the board, and as a faculty member and professor at the Texas College of Osteopathic Medicine. It was during this brilliant 33-year medical career that he served his calling to fulfill his Hippocratic Oath and thereby helped in the healing of tens of thousands of people. Having been divorced for several years, he met his current wife, Debbie, in 1987. They were married in 1991.
Dr. O’Shea was a founding organizer of the Oakridge School in Arlington from which all three of his children graduated. He placed an enormous emphasis on education and all three of his children went on to graduate college with two receiving post-graduate degrees. He enjoyed fishing and boating, was an avid reader, a huge sports enthusiast – particularly football, and loved his German Shepherd, Shadow. He leaves behind a tremendous legacy of perseverance and accomplishment and has touched the lives of many.
Survivors include wife of 20 years, Debbie O’Shea; children John Christopher O’Shea (Kathleen), Erin Noelle O’Shea, Heather Marie Ford (B.J.); sister Patricia Ann Lary; loving niece Jeannie Marie Eichenlaub (David); grandchildren Aidan Marie and John Patrick O’Shea, Annie and Jack Ford; Debbie’s family; mother Ruth Smith; and brothers Nyal and Jerry Smith.
Gifts may be made to the Susan G. Komen for the Cure Greater Fort Worth Affiliate, P.O. Box 101328, Fort Worth, Texas 76185; or The Oakridge School, 5900 West Pioneer Parkway, Arlington, Texas 76013.
O. Keith Pauley, DO, ’41, FACOFP
O. Keith Pauley, DO, ’41, FACOFP, Seattle, Wa., died Dec. 20, 2011. He was born near Powersville, Mo., to Isal Mary (Moore) and Everett Otto Pauley.
After receiving his medical degree he relocated to Mason, Mich., where Dr. Pauley and his wife, Ruth M. (Torres) Pauley, became deeply involved in local/regional/national organizations until partial retirement (1986) when they moved to Seattle to be with their daughter and granddaughter. There he continued his medical affiliations as non-practicing consultant; educator; charitable and volunteer organization member, advisor to family and friends, all while playing competitive tennis until his 90th birthday.
At one time he owned Mason Golf Club and a dairy farm managed by his father. For 29 years he served as a volunteer sport team physician at Mason High School, donating free physicals for players and cheerleaders, also coaching summer recreation programs in baseball and boxing. For 44 years he served as a Michigan licensed Pro/Am ringside physician.
Dr. Pauley was a founding and life staff member of McLaughlin (Lansing General Hospital), but recognized that the Mason area needed a local hospital and as a charter member of its planning committee, helped get a federal grant to build 50-bed Mason General, the first dual staff DO/MD hospital in Michigan.
He was available to patients 24/7 to make house calls in any weather, even by snowmobile when roads were impassable. He delivered more than 1,000 babies during his career and helped his geriatric friends/patients, at times even cooking breakfast or running their errands.
Dr. Pauley’s 25-year involvement with correctional institutions began in 1962. In cooperation with the Community Mental Health Board and Mental Health Services unit he developed operational and records systems still used in hundreds of jails nationwide. Working closely with several elected officials, police, and psychology professionals, he contributed to the 1972 American Medical Association’s study that resulted in the 1976 Standards for the Accreditation of Medical Care and Health Services to Jails. Routine programs for drug and alcohol rehabilitation were another innovation by Dr. Pauley and jail staff.
Dr. Pauley’s wife preceded him in death. He is survived by his sister, Deleta Fay (Pauley) Schaffer; daughter Denise Pauley Grayson (Mitchell) and granddaughter Jamie Keith-Marie Pauley (Michael Volkman); two sisters-in-law, Dr. Estelle Wachtel-Torres and Mrs. Hazel Torres; numerous nieces, nephews, grand-nieces and grand-nephews.
Memorial donation may be made to cancer-related charities to to Mason Area Historical Society, Box 44, Mason MI, 48854.
Robert L. Peters Jr., DO, ’58
Robert L. Peters Jr., DO, ’58, Round Rock, Texas, lost his battle with cancer on Jan. 13, 2012, at Round Rock Medical Center with his loving wife of 48 years, Ruby, at his side. Services were held Jan. 17.
Born, April 27, 1933, in Austin, Texas, he was the son of Robert Lee Peters Sr., DO, ’31, and Grenade Farmer Peters. Dr. Peters earned his DO from ATSU-KCOM after attending Texas A&M University. He practiced four years in Pasadena, Texas, and nine years in Calvert, Texas, before relocating to Round Rock in 1972.
His professional life was distinguished by multiple opportunities for leadership as president of the Texas Osteopathic Medical Association, president of the Texas Society of the American College of Osteopathic Family Physicians, board member for the American Osteopathic Association, distinguished fellow of the American College of Osteopathic Family Physicians, fellow of American College of Utilization and Review Physicians. He was instrumental in the establishment of Round Rock Community Hospital where he served as its first chief of staff and, at the time of his death, still served on its board of directors.
Dr. Peters earned numerous professional awards including Family Practitioner of the Year and T.R. Sharp Meritorious Service Award from Texas Society of the American College of Osteopathic Family Physicians, Life Member Awards from AOA, ACOFP and TOMA, and the TOMA Community and Distinguished Service Awards. Among his many community service awards, Dr. Peters earned Citizen of the Year in both Calvert and Round Rock. He was awarded Kiwianian of the year and served as their president. In addition, he was awarded the first Lifetime Partnership Award for dedication to Round Rock High School football team. He was a recipient of the 2010 “Local Legend” award for his contribution to the community.
A statue in honor of Dr. Peters’ dedication to his patients and his service to the Round Rock community will be erected and a memorial scholarship fund has been established. Donations can be made at Greater Round Rock Community Foundation, 206 E. Main, Round Rock, TX, 78664, or at www.roundrockcommunityfoundation.org.
Robert Bruce Pettyjohn, DO, ’72
Col. Robert Bruce Pettyjohn, DO, ’72, (Ret.) U.S. Army, New Port Richey, Fla., died Dec. 13, 2011.
Dr. Pettyjohn was the former director of emergency medical services for Pinellas County. He is survived by his wife, Janet Sue Pettyjohn, DO, ’74; three children; six grandchildren; and four great-grandchildren. A memorial service was held Jan. 14.
Deno S. Sellas, DO, ’59
Deno Spiro Sellas, DO, ’59, Grand Rapids, Mich., died Jan. 1, 2012, at age 80. He was preceded in death by his son, Spiro “Spee” Sellas and nephew Spencer Sellas.
He was a loving husband of 52 years to Chrisa (Milionis); a devoted father to Elaine and Andrew Milnes; a beloved Papou (grandfather) to Caroline, Greta, and Anna Milnes. He was a special brother to Nicholas S. Sellas, DO, ’61; brother-in-law to John (Mary) Milionis and Yiota Sarantis. He was a special uncle to many nieces and nephews.
He served in the Army and was a proud veteran of the Korean War. He was born and raised in Big Rapids, Mich., and was a graduate of Ferris State University where he received his degree from the College of Pharmacy. He went on to ATSU-KCOM and practiced family medicine in Grand Rapids for 25 years. He then completed his training in interventional radiology and practiced until his reluctant retirement just three years ago.
He enjoyed photography, hunting, traveling, the study of history, playing the piano, and spending time with family. He was active in his church community, president of the Michigan Company of Military Historians and a long-time member of the Michigan Osteopathic Association as well as the American Osteopathic Association.
Jayne L. Snyder, DPT, ’07
Jayne L. Snyder, DPT, ’07, Lincoln Neb., died Oct. 5, 2011, after losing a battle with pancreatic cancer. Dr. Snyder was a long-time Lincoln business owner, community advocate, and city council member. She was an impassioned physical therapist and gave tirelessly to her patients and professional associations. She was born in Lincoln to the late William and Helen Snyder. Her brother, William, died in an air tragedy. Dr. Snyder is survived only by two cousins, Dennis Grams and Kathleen Foltz.
She graduated from the University of Nebraska with a physical education degree and taught in a local junior high school. She graduated from Stanford University with her physical therapy degree and returned to Lincoln to become the first physical therapist at the University of Nebraska Athletic Department as well assistant professor for the University’s Division of Physical Therapy Education. She opened Snyder Physical Therapy in 1986 where she practiced until 2010. A lifetime learner, she completed her doctorate in physical therapy at ATSU-ASHS.
Dr. Snyder has served her professional associations at both the state and national levels. She was president of the Nebraska Physical Therapy Association and a delegate for the Nebraska chapter for six terms. She has served in numerous capacities including two terms as vice president of the American Physical Therapy Association (APTA) board of directors. She was awarded fellowship in the APTA. Dr. Snyder participated in developing the Clinical Research Network and has served as president of the Foundation for Physical Therapy. She has been active in disseminating rehabilitation research into clinical practice and an advocate for health policy reform including contributions to the Guide for Physical Therapy Practice.
In Lincoln, Dr. Snyder helped organize a consortium of private investors who bought the railroad right-of-way for the MoPac Trail. The group then donated it to the Lower Platte South Natural Resource District after they solicited enough donations to pay off their debt and develop the trail. Still not content with her contribution to Lincoln, she sought and won a seat on the city council and worked in that role for two years. Her final project for the city was the West Haymarket arena, which broke ground in September.
A lifetime runner, Dr. Snyder spent many hours on the trails that she loved in Lincoln proper. She completed 50 marathons, run in 27 states. Her final race was a relay where she hoped to pass the baton of community responsibility to all of those whom she leaves behind.
In lieu of flowers, donations are requested to the Jayne Snyder Scholarship for Physical Therapy at the Saint Elizabeth Regional Medical Center, 6900 L St., Suite 100, Lincoln, NE 68510.
Walter S. Strode, DO, ’73
Walter S. Strode, DO, ’73, lifelong proponent of osteopathic medicine and member of the Colorado Springs osteopathic community, died Oct. 19, 2011, at age 63 from a chronic illness.
Born in Hannibal, Mo., on Nov. 22, 1947, to Lloyd Lewis and Frances Hopkins Strode, Dr. Strode graduated from Hannibal High School and the University of Missouri. He followed in his grandfather’s footsteps and attained a medical degree from ATSU-KCOM in 1973. Dr. Strode practiced family medicine in Colorado Springs for seven years before completing a residency in forensic psychiatry at the University of Oklahoma. He was on staff at the Oklahoma Forensic Center in Vinita, Okla., a division of the Oklahoma Department of Mental Health and Substance Abuse.
Dr. Strode was married to Vicki Lindley and is survived by son Ryan, grandsons Jack and Taylor (Tulsa, Okla.) and brother Lloyd Lewis Strode Jr., DO, ’78 (Colorado Springs).
An osteopathic medical student scholarship is being created in his memory with the Colorado Springs Osteopathic Foundation. Donations to this special scholarship may be made to C.S.O.F., P.O. Box 49577, Colorado Springs, CO 80949.
Ronald E. Strong, DO, ’68
Ronald E. Strong, DO, ’68, Jefferson City, Mo., died Jan. 21, 2012, at age 69. Born Oct. 26, 1942, in Kirksville, Mo., he was the son of Carroll E. Strong and E. Lanier Hardy White. He was married Aug. 28, 1965, to Linda G. Robinson.
Dr. Strong was a graduate of Kirksville High School (1960) and of Northeast Missouri State University (1963). He graduated from ATSU-KCOM (1968) where he was a fellow in the physiology department and a member of the Sigma Sigma Phi and Psi Sigma Alpha Honor Fraternities.
Dr. Strong was a family practice physician in Jefferson City since 1969. From 1969-72 he was with the Family Medical Center. From 1972-96, he co-owned and operated Hancock-Strong Family Clinic. In 1996, when Jefferson City Medical Group was formed, Dr. Strong became a partner. Illness forced his retirement in 2011.
He was a member, deacon, and senior ministry leader at Capital City Christian Church. He was an avid golfer and a member of the Jefferson City Country Club. He also was a member of the American Academy of Family Physicians, the American Osteopathic Association, the Missouri Osteopathic Association, and was a fellow of the American Academy of Family Physicians.
He served as clinical preceptor (clinical professor) in family medicine at ATSU-KCOM (2000-08). He was affiliated with Charles E. Still Hospital where he served on several committees and was chief of staff (1973-74). He was also affiliated with St. Mary’s Health Center, serving on numerous committees.
Dr. Strong received the 750 Club Award from the Kansas City College of Osteopathic Medicine in 1993. In 2000, he received a certificate of appreciation from the Missouri Association of Osteopathic Physicians and Surgeons for 25 years of membership and in 2009 was recognized by the Missouri State Board of Registration of Healing Arts as an Exceptional Physician who had practiced medicine for 40 years.
Dr. Strong mentored five to 10 medical students per year for more than 35 years from the University of Missouri at Kansas City School of Medicine, ATSU-KCOM, and the Kansas City University of Medicine and Biosciences. He also welcomed numerous students from various universities and high schools to shadow him.
Dr. Strong enjoyed golf, watching sports (mainly football), but most importantly, spending time with his family. Survivors include his wife of 46 years, Linda Strong; two sons, Steven K. (Erin) and Ronald E. (Caroline) Strong; one daughter, Susan G. (Gary) Gass; his mother, E. Lanier White; one sister, Carol (Douglas) Lynch; and 10 grandchildren. He was preceded in death by his father, Carroll E. Strong; his step father, Leslie White; his maternal grandparents, Dr. A.C. and Jassemine Hardy; and his paternal grandparents, Carroll and Clara Strong.
Memorial contributions may be made to the Capital City Christian Church or the American Brain Tumor Association.
John Van Swan, DO, ’77
John Van Swan, DO, ’77, Cumming, Ga., died Nov. 20, 2011, at age 65. Born in Hannibal, Mo., he was the son of the late Ernest T. Swan, DO, ’31, and Velma.
Dr. Swan was on staff at North Fulton Hospital and was an active member of the Georgia Osteopathic Medical Association, the American Osteopathic Medical Association, and the American Academy of Family Practitioners.
He is survived by his wife, Barbara Swan; children Brian Swan and Rachel (Bryan) Bryson; sister Mary Jo Carter; brother Ernest T. Swan; and much loved grandchildren, Elliott and Grant.
Donations may be made to a charity of your choice. Condolences may be expressed online at www.mcdonaldandson.com.
Joe Bill Webber, DO, ’58
Joe Bill Webber, DO, ’58, Overland Park, Kan., died Jan. 18, 2012, at the Kansas City Hospice House from complications of COPD at age 87.
Dr. Webber was born Oct. 18, 1924, on a ranch in Maljamar, New Mexico, to Ladd and Tommie Taylor Webber. He was the second of seven children. He attended New Mexico A&M University (now New Mexico State University) in Las Cruces, N.M., where he was a member of the Sigma Alpha Epsilon fraternity. He received a BS in biology (1948). He was employed by The Atomic Energy Commission at the Los Alamos National Laboratory in Los Alamos, N.M. (1948-54), travelling to Eniwetok Atoll in the Marshall Islands to study the biological effects of the experimental atomic and hydrogen bombs exploded there.
In June 1951, Dr. Webber married Patricia Lee Windle of Chillicothe, Mo., who was also employed at the Los Alamos National Laboratory. In 1955, the two moved to Kirksville, where Dr. Webber attended ATSU-KCOM, receiving his DO (1958). In 1959, he established his family medical practice in Chillicothe. In 1960, he was elected Livingston County Coroner, an office he held until 1972. In 1976, Dr. Webber received his ophthalmology certification and relocated to Kansas City to perform eye exams for Vision Optical in Kansas City and Blue Springs. He retired in 2000, sold his home, and moved to Silvercrest at Deer Creek, a retirement community in Overland Park, Kan.
Dr. Webber was an accomplished equestrian. He competed in horse shows throughout the United States and was an alternate to the U.S. Olympic Team in 1968. He was a lifetime member of the United States Equestrian Federation.
Dr. Webber is survived by a daughter, Stephanie Hecker; three grandchildren, Aaron, Lindsay, and Kyle Hecker; two brothers, Leon and “Buddy” Webber; one sister, Tommie Childs; and eight nephews and four nieces. Dr. Webber was preceded in death by his parents; his stepmother, Thelma Taylor Webber; two sisters, Mary Lynn and Netti Lou Belfi; a brother, Richard “Dick” Webber; and an infant granddaughter, Abbey Marie Hecker.
Memorial donations may be made to the United States Equestrian Federation Disaster Relief Fund at www.usef.org, or you may mail your contribution to: United States Equestrian Federation, Disaster Relief Fund, 4047 Iron Works Pkwy., Lexington, KY 40511.
Robert E. Wilkins, DO, ’45
Robert E. Wilkins, DO, ’45, South Bend, Ind., died Dec. 16, 2010, at age 89. Dr. Wilkins was born May 7, 1921, in Lancaster, Ohio, to the late Gladine (Brehm) and Ralph Wilkins. On February 4, 1945, in Kirkville, Mo., he married Wanda D. Neagle, who preceded him in death May 4, 2008. He was also preceded in death by a sister, Eleanor Whittington. He is survived by a daughter, Tamara Wagemaker (Dana); a son, Kevin S. Wilkins (Kim); three grandchildren, Heather Overton (Steven), Jacob Wagemaker, and Kyle Wilkins; and one great-granddaughter, Reaghan Overton.
Dr. Wilkins graduated from Ohio State University and received his DO from ATSU-KCOM. He retired after many years in private practice at the former Osteopathic Hospital in South Bend. He was a member of Council Oak Lodge #745 F&AM, White Shrine #10, Beni Kedem Shrine Temple, and the South Bend Lions Club, all for more than 50 years.
Julie Ann Gibson, MD, CMI, MBA, RN
Dr. Julie Gibson
Julie Ann Gibson, MD, CMI, MBA, RN, Queen Creek, Ariz., died unexpectedly at her home Dec. 28, 2011, at age 55. She was a professor at ATSU-SOMA.
She was born March 29, 1956, in Des Moines, Iowa, to the late James and Letha Jervis. She graduated from SIU School of Medicine in Springfield, Illinois (1988). She received her MBA from University of Phoenix (1995) and her MA from Remington University (2002). She was an active member of DMORT and chief forensic officer on the Weapons of Mass Destruction Special Operations Team. Gibson was also an active posse member for the Maricopa County Sheriff’s Office.
She is survived by her husband, Jeffery Alan Gibson; daughters Elizabeth Griggs, Amy Trello, Gail Brown, Lyndie Brown, and Lauren Brown; grandchildren Trysten Bonnett, Kyler Reynolds, Brooklyn Webster-Brown, Brayden Trello, Taylor Trello, and Baby Girl Trello.
She enjoyed drag racing, had a special place in her heart for animals, and loved the décor and scenery of Arizona.
Memorial services were held Jan. 7, 2012. In lieu of flowers, donations can be sent in her name to the National Center for Missing & Exploited Children, Attn: DEV, Charles B. Wang, International Children’s Building, 699 Prince Street, Alexandria, VA 22314-3175, or call 866.411.5437.